The High Wycombe Station Charity Committee have decided to support The Horse Trust as one of the 3 chosen charities this year. The Station Commander, Gp Capt Harris and the Station Warrant Officer, WO Kerslake took a visit to the Charity and presented them with a £1000 cheque.
Originally named Home of Rest for Horses, the charity was founded in 1886 by Miss Ann Lindo because of the Story of Black Beauty, 1877. It is the oldest Horse Charity in the World. In the Early 1900s Home of Rest for Horses was mainly for horses of Cabmen, Laundrymen, grocers or rag-and-bone men in London. After WWII in 1951, Home of Rest for Horses had a lot of War Horses Admitted and still to this day provide a Home for Rest for our Military Veterans.
In 2006 The Home of Rest for Horses was renamed The Horse Trust to reflect their growing mission. Though the heart of the Charity is Home of Rest for Horses, The Horse Trust are dedicated to improving the welfare of every horse, through scientific research aimed at improving horse care and welfare and provide training and advice to horse owners and equine professionals.
HRH The Princess Royal, Princess Anne, has been a Patron since 2005 and usually visits when there are big events on. The Charity relies solely on donations, which include sponsorships for individual horses.
It is open to the public Thursday to Sunday 1400 – 1600 and is a lovely tranquil place with the chance to meet some of the Horse’s, Ponies and Donkeys. There is also The Black Beauty Tea Room where you can have a selection of tea and cake and when the weather is dry you can sit out in the little garden. The Horse Trust is located just across the road from RAF High Wycombe Site 1. We are extremely lucky to have such a wonderful charity just on our door step and The Station Charity Committee look forward to supporting them this year.
Flt Lt Dan Roper