Why not have a go at these simple recipes – great to serve at a Hallowe’en or bonfire party.
The Medmenham Coffee Shop is open each Wednesday (in term time) from 0900 – 1300 serving hot and cold drinks, light lunches and cakes. All of the cakes are home-made by the talented residents of the Medmenham Patch.
Toffee Apple Muffins
What you need…
• 2 eggs – lightly beaten
• 80g caster sugar
• 240ml milk
• 100g butter – melted
• 300g plain flour
• 2tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• Cinnamon – pinch of
• 2 eating apples – peeled, • cored and finely chopped
• 200g shop-bought toffee pieces
How to make it…
1. Preheat oven to 190C/380F/gas mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl mix the eggs, sugar, milk and melted butter. Then sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir well to combine.
3. Add the chopped apple and lightly mix.
4. Using half the mixture, quarter fill each of the muffin cases and top with a few pieces of toffee. Cover with the remaining filling so the cases are half full.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.