First Aid at Work Training

In July, 10 staff based at RAF High Wycombe attended and successfully passed a First Aid at Work (FAW) course, these were both Service Personnel and MOD Civil Servants.  The course was three days long and covered a wide range of practical and theoretical scenarios to build knowledge, and reinforce the confidence that in an emergency you will do the right thing.  The course covers basics, such as bandaging and minor illnesses, and goes all the way to giving Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and using an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED).  

Attendees had a variety of reasons for coming on the course, ranging from being able to help a work colleague in an emergency, to being able to support clubs and other activities here at RAF High Wycombe. We can never know when these skills may be called upon, and having the knowledge and confidence to help someone may not just be in the workplace; you could be in town or at home and as such, this should be seen as a whole life skill, not just a “work” qualification.  Legally, we are well covered for First Aiders, and to be able to offer places on the course for personnel who wish to promote activities for the wellbeing of others is a bonus for the Station.

RAF High Wycombe has five AEDs on base, including three Public Access Defibrillators (PAD); 1 Site and 3 Site Guardrooms, and the Station Gym on 3 Site are PADs that are available to members of the public as well as Station Personnel, with “behind the wire” AEDs at the Officers’ Mess reception desk and Building 47 badge control. Wise Owls nursery in Greenwood has a PAD in a secure cabinet on the outside wall, the Danesfield Arms at Medmenham is soon to have a PAD fitted as well. To access any of the PADs, the code to the cabinet would be given by the 999 operator, who can also give advice on using an AED if needed.

Courses are run at regular intervals throughout the year, and the dates are advertised in Station Announcements. For further information on FAW or training courses, you should contact the SSHEA Department.